Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
The Smithsonian has no responsibility to sponsor researchers that are not doing research of interest to the institution.

That was never the complaint. The problem was that, based on the OSC and Congressional investigations, there is stron evidence that Sternberg was discriminated against for lawful activities outside his work at the NMNH. Per the OSC, this is unlawful for an employee, but Sternberg was not classified as an employee. Saying discrimination is ok for RAs is a double standard and should not be acceptable.

The allegations of impropriety was alleged because, in the words of the editorial board: "the paper was published without review by any associate editor;" and ..."the subject matter represents such a significant departure from the nearly purely systematic content for which this journal has been known throughout its 122-year history."

The BSW publically declared that the paper was of poor scientific quality, that Sternberg did not allow any other editor with better qualifications to examine the paper, and that the paper topic was not appropriate for the subject matter of the journal. These points are not being denied.

The OSC and Congressional report both strongly indicate that those statements are false and should be retracted.

If you accept this, then the Expelled movie was dishonest on this important point.

I think you are confusing an interview done somewhere with what the movie presented. In the movie, Sternberg was interviewed and told his story. It was directly from him, and, try as hard as some have, he has never found to make misstatements, and the OSC and Congressional report have only corroberated what Sternberg has said.

I see no indication that Sternberg was penalized for his questionable behavior as editor or for his religious beliefs.

He was demoted. In my opinion, based on very strong evidence, it was done unfairly.

Just my opinion, but I think the credibility of both the movie and you are questionable.

Did you see the movie? Have you really given objective consideration to all of the facts. I don't see how you can say that if you have, but that is just my opinion.

By the way, the congressional report you cite is a preliminary finding.

The evidence is compelling.

JMHO

Paul
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.