Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
"The Snowball," Alice Schroeder's much-anticipated bio of Warren Buffett, arrived via Amazon last night.

As is customary with all my non-fiction reading, I read the last chapter first. (If the last chapter, which should inspire me to get off the sofa and act, bores, why waste time with the rest of the book? I no longer feel the need to read every book cover-to-cover. Some folks feel the same about It's Earnings That Count.)

The last chapter is terrific, so I read the penultimate (second-to-last) chapter, "The Seventh Fire."

Here we peek inside Herb Allen's famous week of parties, presentations and hobnobbing in Sun Valley every August. We also learn how Buffett gets ready for a Berkshire annual meeting.

But in what is surely the book's emotional zenith, we are also with Warren on his worst day. Having admired and learned so much from this generous man, it was painful to read the fifth paragraph of page 802. I shed a few tears.

I am now reading the book from start-to-finish. A must-read, as of page 81. Schroeder's book is as good as Roger Lowenstein's 1995 classic, Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist.

Hewitt
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.