Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 7
The stocks in the taxable account are from a completely different company (F), and I've held them for a long time because they did so well. Now I worry about selling them because of taxes on the profits.

Would you like to hear about how I solved my problem about selling CSCO and incurring a short-term gain? Rode that puppy all the way down to a loss that provided me a carryover for a couple of years. Bad decision.

As we like to say in these parts, Don't let the tax tail wag the investment dog (DLTTWID). If you have a better use for the current value of F, sell all or part of it.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.