Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
The story would appear to be a standard sword & sorcery/fantasy, but the kicker would be at the end the hero would die, just short of achieving his goal and then the story would cut to a scene of two adolescent boys fighting over who gets to play the video game next.

Oh jeez, please don't do this. This is trite and cliche. Typically the whole story isn't based on this premise -- it's often used as part of setup or surprise in a larger context -- the classic example is the beginning of Toy Story 2 where Buzz "dies" and it pans to Rex playing a video game. That's identical to what you're proposing.

I remember reading a book once that specifically called out this form of story, in that it was considered the mark of a poor writer if they relied on withholding information from the viewer until the very end that changes the entire context of the story. I can't remember the specific diatribe, but it was along those lines.

But then I decided that if I get the reader emotionally invested in the character and the story and then pull the rug out from under them, it would be like the infamous Dallas "the whole last season was a dream sequence" fiasco.

I think this is exactly how it would be perceived, since this is a close cousin to deus ex machina.

-Hook
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.