Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
The stretch IRA was significantly hampered for estate planning recently.

Bankersfate - I believe (and hope) that your citation is mistaken. Ed Slott's usually pretty good at parsing out IRA stuff - I'll need to double-check but I'm pretty confident in this:

https://www.irahelp.com/slottreport/tax-reform-and-your-ira-...

Long live the stretch IRA. The stretch IRA is one of the biggest benefits of the tax code, allowing you to pass your IRA to children and even grandchildren. Your beneficiaries can stretch RMDs from their inherited IRAs for years and enjoy decades of tax-deferred growth. If it is a Roth IRA, it’s even better. The growth is tax-free. There were proposals in Congress to do away with this tax break and require non-spouse beneficiaries to use a five-year rule. Good news! Despite rumors to the contrary, these proposals were not made part of the final law. The stretch IRA has survived and is still with us.

best,
dan
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.