Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/sussexes-want-attend-queens-...

The Sussexes Want to Attend the Queen's Jubilee and It's Causing a Lot of Drama

An insider tells The Sun that “Harry wants to be there. It is already causing a headache and is going to be very awkward" since there are question about "Where will they be positioned if they turn up? What events can they attend?"

And blah, blah, blah.

Does anyone really give a rat's patootie?

CNC
Print the post Back To Top
Clearly they do!

JimA
No. of Recommendations: 4
I have no interest in the royal family. Not that I have anything in particular against them, but to me they're just "people". No "divine right" to rule, no lofty better-than-you regard...they eat and poop just like all of us.

Same for Hollywood types. I don't care about them either. I enjoy (or not!) their work, but whom they marry, divorce, have affairs with, and usually their opinions about things: I don't care. I don't see why I should care. Just royalty of a different sort, really. They're still just people.

In fact, given the treatment the royals have given Megan (right?), apparently just because she's black, I care even less. They are an anachronism that should probably be done-away-with. But then they are Britain's problem, not mine.

1poorguy
Long Live the Jacobites!
We've been enjoying The Crown on Netflix. Even the kids (teenagers) have watched it.

No interest in what the Royals actually do.
As I recall, you're a British person. The Royals seem to capture the news in England from time to time, but what does the average person in (for example) London actually think about that? Do they see it as an anachronism, or are they proud (for whatever reason), or resentful?

You could be rid of the royal family if you wanted. Their role is only ceremonial at this point, as I understand it. Why do they not make them get real jobs, instead of riding in coaches waving at people?

Just curious.

1poorguy
No. of Recommendations: 7
."they eat and poop just like all of us"...1PG

Actually, I understand the Queen needs a new toilet everywhere she goes to poop when traveling. At least that is the way it was about 68 years ago. She came to our small town in New Zealand and that was one of the "must prepare" items.

Also one of my ( as a child) babysitters had been a good friend of Prince Charles and Princess Anne's nanny and was often in the Palace visiting. Charles and Anne liked her, and did drawings and coloring for her.....but in those days one did not gossip about Royalty so she would NEVER talk about her time there. How that has changed! People make pots of money just writing nonsense about them.

I can tell you a silly family story ref royalty. My oldest brother was invited to be one of the few dinner guests the Queen and Prince Philip were having on the Royal Yacht.
My brother was somewhat annoyed. He had to wear a tux etc.
As Mum inspected him and adjusted his bow tie he grumbled "What on earth will I talk to the Queen about?"
"Don't worry dear," said my mother in her comfortable way.."Just ask her about her dogs!"

Maryanne
No. of Recommendations: 1
Maryanne,
Thinking about the Queen - We lived in Bermuda for about 3 years from 1976-1980 (DH was stationed there).....the Queen was coming to visit.

Number 1 priority was to find a particular kind of toilet with box for her feet cause she was so tiny.....they finally found one and, I guess, she happily was able to "poop" - LOL LOL
“The Royals seem to capture the news in England from time to time, but what does the average person in (for example) London actually think about that? Do they see it as an anachronism, or are they proud (for whatever reason), or resentful?”

I think Brits generally have a favorable opinion of the royals. I’ll have to ask the family there what they think. Probably something like: worth having for the entertainment value, tourism and nostalgia. The royals don’t really do anything in a practical sense.

I remember being given a coin at school for the Queen’s Silver Jubilee (1977). I probably still have it in my box of stuff in my dads attic.

I can take em or leave em. Don’t really care. The Crown is good, though.
I worked with a British post-doc while I was in grad school. He said it was good for tourism. But I always thought it was expensive to maintain them just for tourism. I'll be the government could get a sizeable chunk of change for the crown jewels and other wealth of the Windsors. (I think an argument could be made that those belong to the British people.)
I confess to enjoying pictures of the Queen's great grandchildren--that is, George, Charlotte, Louis, and Archie. I forget her other great-grands, but I think there's a Savannah in there somewhere, which makes me smile as it's such an American name. Is there also an Indiana?!

I'm curious about whether Charles will ever become King, or skip over him straight to William, or nobody ever again.

ASIDE
I love Oscar Isaac's take on King John (in the Russell Crowe-Cate Blanchette RObin Hood) even more than Claud Rains', and that's saying something! Actually rather like this take on the Robin Hood tale and am sorry it wasn;t popular enough to make the originally planned sequel.
No. of Recommendations: 2
When Charles was born, a well known "fortune teller" predicted he would never be king. Everyone turned on her and asked how she could say such a terrible thing, etc.

Well, many years later he is still not King.
No. of Recommendations: 5
If I had to choose between the royals and the Kardashians I’d pick the royals. At least they have some class.

But I wouldn’t want to be either one for a million bucks. Famous people give up their privacy. I’d hate that.

Make me rich but not famous.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I am far from an authority on royal succession, but when Elizabeth dies isn't it automatic that Charles is king? And then when he dies his eldest surviving son becomes king? Or am I being too simplistic?
Make me rich but not famous.

Biggy put it better "mo-money, mo-problems".
...isn't it automatic that Charles is king?

Pretty much. There are some who think he may step aside for young William (well, even he is not that young anymore compared to when his granny took over), but since Charles has been waiting so long, it probably won't happen. It does look like he'll be well into his 70s and even possibly 80s (he's already 72) when he assumes the crown. After all, Liz' mother went to 101.

Pete
Pete: After all, Liz' mother went to 101.

Is longevity genetic? It seems intuitive that it would be, but I read that it is not.

CNC
I don't think King Charles is as objectionable to the UK generally as Queen Camilla (or have they gotten over losing Diana by now?).

I've read that William is also preferred to Charles as more of a people-person plus his experience in the military and search & rescue as a helicopter pilot. While Kate is no Diana, I think she's more popular than Camilla. And the Royals need to pay attention to the increasing anti-monarchists.

hmmm...I must read more about the Royals than I thought ;-)

PS--Eldest inherits the crown, no longer has to be eldest male. Doesn't apply to Charles's generation, though, but William's (or maybe George's--I forget).

PPS--I don't understand whassup w/Harry & Megan (Meghan? Meagan?). Was it press aggressiveness, racism, anti-Americanism, family issues???

PPPS--I'm sort of reminded of increasing problems w/kids marriages like Fiddler on the ROof. Charles married a noble he didn't love. William married a commoner he did. Harry marred a non-white, non-Englishwoman actress and decamped.
No. of Recommendations: 2
But I wouldn’t want to be either one for a million bucks. Famous people give up their privacy. I’d hate that.

I wouldn't choose either one for a million bucks, but for different reasons. Both have dysfunctional families. I'd rather be poor and have a good family than rich than be associated with those people.
I’m in a dysfunctional family anyway.... I mean siblings and nieces and nephews...love my kids and DH though.
speaking of dysfunctional families, I saw an interesting movie yesterday--The Scapegoat (2012). I watched it because it was loosely based on a Daphne du Maurier story and stars Matthew Rhys. (The novel was made into a movie in 1959 starring Alec Guiness.)

Anyhow, a rich guy in trouble runs into his doppelganger, a freshly unemployed teacher with no family. They swap lives, and the teacher eventually solves the rich guy's problems. Jodhi May is the sister who hates her brother for good reason, and Eileen Atkins is his mother. Atmospheric.

Free on Amazon Prime.