Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 9
You couldn't have failed to have noticed that the term Gorilla has been wrestled away from us by the financial press and investors so that it now means "the biggest company in an industry". It's not completely their fault. The "winner takes all" way the hi-tech industry works needed a term they just chose ours.

Moore hasn't helped by introducing the term Godzilla. Used in the Internet to mean that , I believe, a company that has won the network effect ( most eyes go to it ). The trouble is Godzilla is undefeatable. If you've seen our latex buddy in action you know Godzilla beats everyone. Godzilla tougher than our Silver back. Whats going on Moore?

So we need a renaming.
We either have to find things which are even harder than Gorilla's. Which run's the chance of hearing it being abused on NBC the next week.

Or

Go the other way. Choose terms that away from all the macho bulls and bears. Instead of Gorilla how about Barbie?

Now hear me out.

Wall Street ain't going to start using dolls names in a hurry.

Instead of saying a stock is in the Tornado we can say "QCOM is at the tea-party."

Instead of Tornado watch we can say "waiting for an invite."

It's all internally consistent and free of pretentions.

And what is more main stream than Barbie?

Only serious replies please :)

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Possibly a coherent set of nomenclature could be derived from A.A.Milne's Christopher Robin (Winnie the Pooh) books.

Candidates would include:

Pooh
Tigger
Eeyore
Piglet
Kanga
Roo

In addition, other terms come to mind for situational reference:

Honeypot

Terry
No. of Recommendations: 0

Only serious replies please :)

The Gorilla Game taxonomy is a mixture of terms to horrify the student of language. That a gorilla could emerge from a tornado spawned in a bowling alley across a chasm from the early market....

It's... well, it's goofy.

Clearly, the underlying thematics are useful, and indeed I would like to be privy to the greater knowledge that I could acquire by reading the whole book; but I just can't do it.

It's too goofy.

Steve
Sorry Steve, can't use "goofy" already TM by the mouse group.
No. of Recommendations: 3
I know you wanted only serious replies, but I can contribute to the genesis of the name Godzilla. On the Gorilla Game listserv digest, one of the author's of the book - Geoff Moore - was trying to come up with something better than 'Gorilla-King' to call companies like AOL, Amazon, eBay, Yahoo!, etc... and many suggestions were submitted by list members.

However, it was one of the participants who mentioned 'Godzilla'. Geoff liked it so much he decided to use it in the revised edition of the book. That's the history. Serious as it is. I'm sorry I have forgotten the exact poster's name who coined the "Godzilla" name. Andrew - was that you?

If you go back and read books like "Inside the Tornado" and "Crossing the Chasm" you will see how the terminology and thinking has been refined over the years as those two books were written earlier in the decade than the two "Gorilla Game" books. I should also mention that the evolution is still under way and the refinement will continue over the years. Geoff is already refining a few things about Godzillas since the revised edition. In that edition, they mentioned that buying baskets of Godzillas was not the way to play the game. However, since then, it appears that Geoff has reversed that decision and sees value in a 'basket' approach. Don't ask me to go hunt up his exact words as I don't have time until June to do that.

BB

No. of Recommendations: 2
Clearly, the underlying thematics are useful, and indeed I would like to be privy to the greater knowledge that I could acquire by reading the whole book; but I just can't do it.

It's too goofy.

Steve

Clearly, you don't play golf. If you do, take an 'outsider' into the game of golf and watch their reaction to all the 'goofy' terminology which will have them doubled over in laughter.

Steve - read the whole book. It's okay to laugh - especially all the way to the bank. <ggg>

BB
<< So we need a renaming.
We either have to find things which are even harder than Gorilla's. Which run's the chance of hearing it being abused on NBC the next week.
>>

Instead of Gorilla, can't we just use "Brighteyes"? Hey, how about "Charlton Heston"?

rex...The Mighty Gator