No. of Recommendations: 1
We haven't shopped at Target in a long time, were not victims of the hack, so is this legit? Huffpo thinks yes, but many of the comments are skeptical.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/16/target-email_n_4612...

Target’s recent effort to regain the trust of its shoppers after a credit card security breach seems to have backfired. Customers, it seems, are still on edge when it comes to the retailer.

The company was the victim of a security breach during the holiday shopping season that compromised around 40 million customer credit cards. In response, Target sent an email to those who may have been affected by the breach offering a year's worth of free credit monitoring and identity theft insurance. The services are offered through Experian and can help prevent customers from being victims of credit card and identity theft.

But many of those customers believe the email is a hoax. It’s not.

Kat
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
Honestly, I'm not sure where credit monitoring is going to make a difference for this data theft.

I shop at Target pretty regularly, almost certainly within the window where the theft occurred. I pay using a credit card, never a debit card.

Allegedly, this theft was credit and debit card numbers (possibly including debit pins). If I had used a debit card, I'd probably be much more concerned. With my credit card, I have no liability for unauthorized charges.

I've had a card number compromised more than once. I typically use my trusty amex as my daily card. When suspicious activity has hit this card, they have always detected it within minutes and called and emailed me immediately. Once I verified the unusual spending pattern was not me, the card number was canceled and a replacement overnighted to me. You cant beat that kind of service. The only a minor annoyance in updating the handful of bills that I have charge to the card monthly.

Credit monitoring will not change this. Target says that social security numbers are not among the data that was compromised (and Target would not have my SS# anyway). I have no worries about someone trying to open a new line of credit in my name. Knowing this, there is nothing to be gained by signing up for credit monitoring.

This is just an attempt to make people 'feel' safe, even though it does not address the problem at hand. If someone is truly concerned, they should check their statements for Target purchases during the period of concern, and request replacement cards from any debit/cc they used at Target during that window.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I got this and have been trying to decide what to do. Should I cancel my card? I probably should do that, and maybe check the annual credit report sites but I am leery of anything that directs me somewhere else online, especially in light of the hack!
Enough data was compromised for scum to try spear phishing. Credit monitoring isn't a bad idea, but is unnecessary for most.

My husband's Target card was used during the breach, and I haven't seen mine for a few months. I put it in a safe place when we moved. It is in a very safe place. Target's phone tree allows reporting of lost or stolen cards, so I did. The current account is deactivated. Cards are support to be received within 11 days.

After I receive the cards maybe it will be possible to regain online access. Between using the wrong account address, forgetting the answers to the security questions, and reporting a card as lost before talking with customer support, the account is locked. In theory, Customer Support said they had reset it, and the account should unlock after 48 hours. It hasn't. There is a $54 charge that I need to verify. It is very likely valid. I am just annoyed at being locked out, and more annoyed that I am the only one to blame.
The credit monitoring offer is more marketing than security, trying to regain consumer confidence. I do shop at Target every now and then and don't recall shopping during the 3 week period in question (I was out of town for at least one week of that period), though I did peruse Black Friday deals on the web site. I got the letter and my first reaction was suspicious since it would not surprise me that someone tried to use Target's problems as a pretense for a phishing expedition. But I went to the Target web site (not through any link in the email) and they have the exact same letter there. Plus, the web address in the email was not a link and required me to copy and paste, which lends credence to its authenticity. The credit monitoring won't hurt but it doesn't help as much as the CRAs would like you to think.

Fuskie
Who notes that the most foolproof way to protect yourself against identity theft is to freeze your credit and only thaw it out temporarily when you need to open a new credit account...
It is a legitimate offer from Target, but if you are going to request credit monitoring access code go directly to the site creditmonitoring.target.com. Links, especially in email, could be fake.

From the Target website:

A message to our guests

We truly value our relationship with you, our guests, and know this incident had a significant impact on you. We are sorry. We remain focused on addressing your questions and concerns.
• You have zero liability for any charges that you didn’t make.
• No action is required by you unless you see charges you didn’t make.
• Because we value you as our guest and your trust is important to us, Target is offering one year of free credit monitoring to all guests who shopped U.S. stores. Visit creditmonitoring.target.com to request an activation code. View our FAQ on credit monitoring here.
• Your social security number was not compromised.
• Be wary of call or email scams that may appear to offer protection but are really trying to get personal information from you.
Interesting, because my email did not contain a hyperlink, just the text URL.

I saw a report this morning that forensic code investigators have identified the hacking code to have signatures that suggest the Russian mob was behind it.

Fuskie
Who thinks he saw something about Nieman Marcus also being targeted by hackers during the same period.
Interesting, because my email did not contain a hyperlink, just the text URL.

Depending on your mail client (outlook vs. web based vs. other), some will automatically make any text URL into a hyperlink.
Not only did I use my Target Visa but my DH's used his American Express card during the time of the breach. We have received two different emails from Target and that was one of them.

As far as I know, they have not offered the free credit monitoring yet. The verbiage is:

For extra assurance, we will offer free credit monitoring services for everyone impacted. We'll be in touch with you soon on how and where to access the service.

We have NOT been contacted on how and where yet. I'm also not sure what they mean by everyone impacted. Is that people who used credit or debit cards or someone who's card was compromised?

I'm not that worried. We keep close tabs on all our credit cards. I would use the free monitoring services to make sure that no new credit or credit cards are requested in our name.

Utahtea
Who thinks he saw something about Nieman Marcus also being targeted by hackers during the same period.

Nieman Marcus and two other retailers who are as yet unidentified.
We have NOT been contacted on how and where yet. I'm also not sure what they mean by everyone impacted. Is that people who used credit or debit cards or someone who's card was compromised?

LOL...I'm quoting myself. I guess I should have checked today's email before posting because almost an hour before I posted I got another email from Target. This is same letter I receive which I found on the Target website which answered my questions.

https://corporate.target.com/_media/TargetCorp/global/PDF/Gr...

I don't thing it's a scam and I plan on both DH and I signing up for the free year of monitoring.

Utahtea
In our case, this could be useful, but not because of Target. We will be living overseas in a "majority world" country, and monitoring could be useful there, I think.

Any thoughts? Thanks all for your comments.
I like your credit freeze idea. Is there an easy way to do this with all three credit agencies in one go?
I like your credit freeze idea. Is there an easy way to do this with all three credit agencies in one go?

Unfortunately no. See, the Credit Reporting Agencies don't want you to do this. Freezing your credit cuts down on the revenue they generate by customers (i.e. creditors) mining your data to generate offers for credit cards, mortgages, etc. Consumers aren't seen as customers, despite their attempts to make money off us with useless credit monitoring services, misleading credit report sites and overpriced credit scores, so while they are willing to take some steps to appease Federal regulators (annualcreditreport.com, credit freezes), they don't want to make it too easy for you to freeze or thaw your credit.

Never-the-less, all three accounts can be frozen online inside of half an hour. Check out Clark Howard's guide to freezing and thawing your credit:

http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-howard/personal-financ...

Fuskie
Who notes some states set the rate as little as $3 per CRA and some are even free to thaw, so check out the regulations for your state...
I was contacted by Target twice via email with their "offer"; however, I don't have a Target credit or debit card, and did not use any other card during the period of time the issue occurred. I have used an Amex card over the years but only go to target about three times a year.

Now, I have used Target online in the past but do not leave my credit card on file but again this has not been for months, so wondering why I am receiving their "offer" emails?

Ali
Now, I have used Target online in the past but do not leave my credit card on file but again this has not been for months, so wondering why I am receiving their "offer" emails?

Ali

Your Target online account has your email address.
Your Target online account has your email address.

So basically Target is sending out "offers" for all customers in their data base whether they were affected or not.
So basically Target is sending out "offers" for all customers in their data base whether they were affected or not.

How else would they have your email?

Since it was POS that was infected, I don't know why they would be sending email to all online accounts.