Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 9
The taxes on the income earned is then paid at the shareholder’s ordinary tax rate, which can be as high as 39.6%.
it was touted as a tax cut for the rich. I would like to take exception to that. For these small business owners, most of whom are considered middle class, it means paying taxes at 15%

You are undermining your own argument.
If the small business owner is paying 39.6% then they have earnings of over $400k.
When you're making >$400k a year I do not think you are middle class. (and I think most people would agree)

"middle class" and "rich" are not terms with hard definitions.
But let's use $150K as a dividing line (why? 1> it's more than 2X median national income **; 2> it's the start of the 28% bracket (below that is 25%)

And with that context we can see that the family making $150k (top end of the middle-class) has their tax drop some (25% max to 15% max)
A "rich" person sees a lot more benefit, dropping from 28% or 33-39.6% down to 15%.
And the average middle-class guy making $70K sees the same taxes.

So your average/median middle-class guy making $75K sees the same taxes, the upper-middle-class gets a small taxcut and the rich guy sees an even bigger tax cut.
Why wouldn't you describe that as a "tax cut for the rich"?
I'd agree that's simplifying it a bit - but seems still reasonably accurate description.

** http://money.cnn.com/infographic/economy/what-is-middle-clas...

Next time you hear that, think of all of those middle class S-Corporations that would benefit as well.
1> you have to believe that S-corps get the benefit and it wouldn't just be C-corps (I wouldn't assume that)
2> you are lumping the middle-class S-corps that don't get a benefit (the many S-corps that earn less than $70k) with those who do (earning $80-$150k/year).

Lastly - IMO this doesn't have a chance of being more than a talking point.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.