Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
The Telluride is still on the list to test drive.

Check the Palisade also. Same vehicle essentially but I do believe Hyundai does a better job than Kia overall especially at the retail level.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
... due to the location of the activation sensor for the Hands Free Power Lift gate underneath the rear bumper, if a tow hitch was installed, it would disable the sensor and this feature would be lost. Due to this interference, Toyota does not offer accessory tow hitches for the 2020 Highlander Limited and Platinum grade vehicles. ... their new AWD system, dynamic torque vectoring AWD, is only available in the Limited and Platinum models.

Translation: The new Dynamic torque vectoring AWD system is not durable enough for towing. No hitch, no tow.

Neil
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'm a little surprised by this product offering as well. However, Toyota does offer a similar size and capacity full body on frame truck in the 4-runner that is a much more capable tow vehicle than the soccer mom designed Highlander.
I'm a little surprised by this product offering as well. However, Toyota does offer a similar size and capacity full body on frame truck in the 4-runner that is a much more capable tow vehicle than the soccer mom designed Highlander.

I don't want a 4Runner. It has not been redesigned for 10 years. It has terrible gas mileage and rides terribly on the highway. I currently own a 2008 Toyota Highlander. I makes a fine tow vehicle for a bass boat. The new model will do just as well.

PSU
I don't want a 4Runner. It has not been redesigned for 10 years. It has terrible gas mileage and rides terribly on the highway. I currently own a 2008 Toyota Highlander. I makes a fine tow vehicle for a bass boat. The new model will do just as well.

You are right about that, no argument from me. My BIL has a 4 Runner and he thinks the ride is also horrible. He still likes the truck overall though. I was just speculating about what their rationale might be as the Highlander is certainly a more "refined" passenger vehicle rather than the truck based SUV.
We’re deep into shopping SUVs and the Kia Telluride is ranked higher than the Highlander now for less money. Bet they have a hitch.

Also there was a huge Toyota Lexus recall this month due to engines catching fire look that up.
We’re deep into shopping SUVs and the Kia Telluride is ranked higher than the Highlander now for less money. Bet they have a hitch.

I've done a lot of research and seen those reviews. My first impression is that the Kia just feels cheap. Yes, it's cheaper than the Highlander but the fit and finish along with the quality of the materials felt like they are cheap.

There was a car show here two weeks ago - Raleigh Auto Expo. I went and sat inside just about every SUV available on the market. I could rule quite a few SUVs out because the room for the person behind me (I drive with the seat all the way back) was really tight. I ruled out a lot of others for how much room I had behind the wheel. I ruled others out just because I won't buy the brand (Ford Explorer). The Telluride is still on the list to test drive.

Also there was a huge Toyota Lexus recall this month due to engines catching fire look that up.

It was due to a manufacturing error that affected about 44,000 vehicles. It is not a design defect so I'm not concerned about the recall.

My current Toyota Highlander is the best vehicle I've ever known. Two of my wife's Camrys are the best cars we've owned. Biggest mistake we ever made was buying a Honda Accord between those two Camrys. It will take a special vehicle for me to switch from the Toyota brand.

PSU
3 Toyotas and 1 Lexus currently owned by immediate family
We really wanted the Highlander hybrid to be great but most reviews say it feels sluggish and underpowered.

We haven’t test driven yet waiting for the annual car buyers guide and our 14 year old Odyssey is still running good. Highlander, Telluride and Ascent will probably be on the short list. Disappointed Honda hasn’t improved gas mileage in 15 years. We drove the RAV4 last year and were really put off by the noisy engine in the redesigned model and it felt cheap, as you say. I have a 16 Camry I love though. Toyota does tend to nickel and dime on options.
..and our 14 year old Odyssey is still running good.

Last summer our 2007 Odyssey was running good. Wife wanted a new car. Now our 2019 CR-V is running good and MPG is ~29 ;-)

George
The Telluride is still on the list to test drive.

Check the Palisade also. Same vehicle essentially but I do believe Hyundai does a better job than Kia overall especially at the retail level.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Look underneath and determine whether you might easily relocate the lift gate sensor. If it looks doable, order the hitch assembly for the lower model vehicle, relocate the sensor, and mount the hitch.

Possibly add a defeat switch to the sensor wiring such that the lift gate will never be accidentally triggered, if any part of your intended trailer or possibly the ball itself might damage the lift gate were it to open unexpectedly. Then whenever you hook up the trailer, you can flip that switch off, and whenever you unhook, you can flip it back on.

xtn
It seems kind of stupid to design a vehicle where a hands-free power lift prevents the installation of a hitch receiver

Try U-Haul - they installed a hitch on a CR-V that worked around the sensor.

George
Look underneath and determine whether you might easily relocate the lift gate sensor. If it looks doable, order the hitch assembly for the lower model vehicle, relocate the sensor, and mount the hitch.

Possibly add a defeat switch to the sensor wiring such that the lift gate will never be accidentally triggered, if any part of your intended trailer or possibly the ball itself might damage the lift gate were it to open unexpectedly. Then whenever you hook up the trailer, you can flip that switch off, and whenever you unhook, you can flip it back on.

I'm just going to wait. I'm in no rush. I'm still breaking in my current Highlander with only 215,000 miles. From Toyota message boards, Toyota is supposedly working on the issue.

PSU
PSU,

I love hearing you've got 210K on your Highlander. I have a 2003 Matrix with 134K and a few age related issues have cropped up in recent years -- new gas tank due to a tiny leak, tiny oil leak, brakes behaving badly -- but overall it's been more than I could've hoped for. It even has a cassette and CD player, two bonuses that make getting a new car a dreadful proposition.

Eventually, I will have to consider a new car. Road safety should be higher on my list than a tape deck but it hasn't been thus far. Personally, I like smaller cars and have been a little disappointed with Toyota's lack of imagination compared to Honda in this realm. Some Civics I see look like a blast to drive, while only some of the Prius models have any curb appeal. I'd likely be a Camry guy if they had a smidge more oompah. And believe me, as a guy who had a K car in my 20s, the sporting look isn't paramount by any means, but I did find my Honda CRX to be the most fun I ever had driving.

Maybe in the next few years, Toyota or, uh, Tesla, or someone comes out with an affordable, fun but practical non-ICE vehicle that I can use for short and long trips. Right now, in the Hudson Valley NY, there aren't enough charging stations (or electric cars) to make this practical at this point in time. But things can change quickly. At least I can be somewhat assured that I've got a few years before making a decision. I only drive 8K a year and that's being optimistic.

Cheers,

SD
252k on my 2006 Honda Odyssey

Less than 2% of all vehicles make it past 200,000 miles. Why? Maintenance!!!
{{Less than 2% of all vehicles make it past 200,000 miles. Why? Maintenance!!! }}

I wonder how much of that is due to maintenance?

there is luck - no major accidents

But I think the major reasons is original product quality. Most of the vehicles I have seen make it past 200,000 miles are trucks with big engines. Diesels or big V8 or even V10 gas engines. They are just built heavier so they seem to last longer.

My dad is horrible about routine maintenance on his vehicles. But has had two ford trucks go over 300,000 miles. One was an old 460 V8 and the other is a 1999 era Power Stroke (before the unreliable pollution controls were added).

My wife and I did far better maintenance for 1990 era Chevy V6 cars. Both became highly unreliable around 125,000 miles.

Among little engines, my wife's Honda civic has 265,000 miles. I think the product quality for the Honda engine was far greater than the product quality for the Chevy engine.

c
I've had 2 4 cyl toyota pickups see 200K+ before they fell to rust.
Current truck a 2002 Tundra V6 has 168K all were manual trans.
had 2 Subaru's bite dust @200K+
the current 2006 Forester has 197K
Where you live , how you drive ,keep up service and as you say the initial quality of the
vehicle are all factors.
Some truth to where you live. Thirty years ago I moved from the salty north to the no salt south. My sons Maxima is 19 years old and zero rust. I remember the bottom of my sisters car falling out....

Yeah I wouldn’t buy a Chevy or a Jeep. Consumers Reports is my car buying bible. Especially the reliability part.

It saddens me that Honda has been steadily falling in quality ratings for years now. They once were the gold standard. Still have the industry’s most comfortable seats. Change in management I guess.

The newly designed RAV4 is a disaster. The engine is Loud! The Hybrid you can only put 8 gallons in the tank so what good is great gas mileage with limited range? Now some of the 2020s Toyota’s are catching fire.

All I want is a zippy, decent mileage, super reliable small to mid SUV to get me through the next 15 years for under $50K. Shouldn’t be too much to ask.

Ugh. I hate car shopping. Yet another reason I keep cars so long.
All I want is a zippy, decent mileage, super reliable small to mid SUV to get me through the next 15 years for under $50K. Shouldn’t be too much to ask.

Ugh. I hate car shopping. Yet another reason I keep cars so long.

So do I. See my post https://boards.fool.com/update-dw-and-i-bought-a-2019-cr-v-a....

You commented twice in that thread including concerns about the Honda CR-V which is what we bought. All is well at this point, 6313 miles, ~29MPG, a very comfortable ride and no gas in the oil.

George
I could attribute several factors for my 2008 Highlander making it to 215,000 miles and counting.

The vehicle has never been in a major accident. I did have one minor accident where someone ran into the back of my vehicle. No damage to my vehicle but my hitch put a nice hole in their bumper. My SUV was built in Japan. I do my own oil changes using Mobile One full synthetic oil. On most days, my SUV goes from my garage to an underground parking deck at work and back to my garage for the night.

PSU
It saddens me that Honda has been steadily falling in quality ratings for years now. They once were the gold standard. Still have the industry’s most comfortable seats. Change in management I guess.

One of the shortest time frames we ever owed a car was a Honda Accord for 2 years because my wife hated the seats.

PSU
I owned a Honda CRX which I loved. They discontinued it. Probably for the best because it was a cop magnet. Seriously, if there were a string of cars all going a modest 70 in a 55 zone, my CRX was singled out. (I got a no seatbelt ticket. I was wearing one. But no points!)

Then a Honda Civic. Overall, I liked the car, except for nagging CV joint issues. Seemed every time I got it fixed, within six months I'd hear that damn clicking sound on turns again. Don't miss that. Not sure why this would be exclusive to my Honda Civic, but no other car I've owned has had that issue.

Anyone know the reason?
while only some of the Prius models have any curb appeal.

You mispelled 'none.'

I only drive 8K a year and that's being optimistic.

Wow! Very impressive. I put 8K a year on my Saturday car that I try desperately to keep the miles off of.

xtn