Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
The theme of the Matrix has some Buddhist elements, and some Christian themes in terms of treating Neo as a savior of some sort.

Reloaded appears to demolish the saviour interpretation.

The central goal (bad word but it will have to do) of Buddhist philosophy is bound up in the notion of rebirth, or reincarnation. The cycle of rebirth, in Buddhism, is not desirable. If you are reborn,
then your suffering is prolonged. Likewise, if Neo had agreed to help restart the next matrix, then he would be reborn at some future point as The One again, and have
to do it all over again.

Of course, if the underlying philosophy of the movie is indeed buddhism, then the world outside of the computer-generated matrix is as illusory as the matrix itself, and all of the human beings are trapped in a cycle of suffering and rebirth.

Nirvana is the cessation, not pleasure or heaven, as we've come to think of it in the west. It is an end to the suffering and waking up to your true nature. There is no I. There is only the one. You are me & I am you & we are they & we are all together. The cause of our suffering is ego and separation from our true nature.

If you buy into this sort of thing.

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.