Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Hello folks. After about 4 years of thinking and waiting http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=13970841 it appears we are close to finally jumping on board.

Actually, If you read this post from 2 ½ years ago, you'll see more of my mindset. http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=16731893

I ended up choosing option 4. We waited. We kept our two vehicles and have been patient. We are now going to get rid of the 92 Previa and buy something with a little more HP, probably another minivan like a late model Odyessey. Things did change for us. We moved from San Diego to Dallas. Much to my surprise, there are far more camping options around here in Texas than there were in Southern California. We have saved like squirrels, and we have some extra funds to go towards a pop-up trailer. I have joined a father/daughter program with my 2 girls and we will be camping 4 times a year. Add to that our family trips of maybe 3 or 4 more times a year, and I figure the trailer will get plenty of use to justify getting it.

I'm excited as I begin looking around. I have had so many tips over the years, but I am open to any you may have for me at this point. I really appreciate the www.rv.net tip, it I an awesome place for questions and research.

Forward I go!
Dozer
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Much to my surprise, there are far more camping options around here in Texas than there were in Southern California.

The dirt's cheaper.
No. of Recommendations: 0
That's for sure.
No. of Recommendations: 3
I have joined a father/daughter program with my 2 girls and we will be camping 4 times a year. Add to that our family trips of maybe 3 or 4 more times a year, and I figure the trailer will get plenty of use to justify getting it.

Forward I go!

Dozer

Old RVing joke: a camper watched in amazement as a family swung into coordinated action resulting in their site being up in minutes. Asked how he got his family to be so deft the father said, “Until they get things set up they can't go to the bathroom.”

A tip: give your girls a checklist to do that's their responsibility. When they get more practiced make a separate list for each. Doesn't have to be hard things to do but that the girls know it's necessary and useful.

It's also a good exercise for you in planning what's needed when you stop.

Another is the night before you go out, spread out the maps and – with the girls – work out your route and list all those things you'll go by and maybe want to see. Have your girls be then the observers for these points.

Have fun.

MichaelR