Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'm at the resort that I consult for right now and was checking some "previewed" DVD's that I purchased to make sure they would play. That necessitated tuning in Channel 3 which shows a bulletin board. The audio channel consisted of some guy named Ernie taking calls.

One caller said he would have a hard time choosing who to vote for. What he really wanted was a fiscal conservative and a social liberal but neither Kerry nor Bush fit this. He said, "I think I'm at the top of the bell curve."

Now to me "fiscal conservative" means that you balance the budget like fiscal conservative Lyndon Baines Johnson who was the last president to lower the federal debt during one year (1969). However I must acknowledge that today the term "fiscal conservative" also means lower spending.

Note: to many posters here at PA "fiscal conservative" means cut taxes come hell or war and ignore the ballooning deficit. I categorically reject such a meaning.

So here is a voter who (in my mind anyway) wants lower federal government spending and a balanced budget, and doesn't want the federal government restricting his lifestyle choices or preaching to him. He believes that of the four combinations of these two variables (fiscal and social), his choice represents the plurality. I think he is right.

Seems like we could have such a party.

After the election, I will be talking more about this party which I have dubbed the "Federalist Party."

See http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21327572
and http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21361894

Peter

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.