Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The trust income can be distributed to the widowed spouse and is then taxed on their 1040; or it can be retained in the trust and taxed on the trust's 1041, or it possibly can be distributed to your wife, definitely after the second death, but possibly before, to be taxed on her 1040.

She need not "get" the money to be taxed on it, but if it is "credited" to her she'll eventually get it after the first of the next year, or as a "previously taxed capital distribution". The trustee should be able to tell her what's happening. ed
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.