Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 9
The trustee of an irrevocable trust must complete and file Form 1041 to report trust income, as long as the trust earned more than $600 during the tax year. Irrevocable trusts are taxed on income in much the same way as individuals. The trustee must also file Schedule K-1 and deliver copies of it to each beneficiary who received a distribution from the trust during the tax year

This is discussing how the irrevocable trust is taxed. It has nothing to do with how the trust can distribute assets. That is completely a function of the terms of the trust, and since your original question had to do with how the assets could be distributed, the answer is still that you have to look at the terms of the trust.

Taxation of the trust is a completely separate issue, and does not control the distributions at all.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.