Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8
Hi Fools,

(It doesn't sound right to say "Hi infertile Fools.")

I posted my sad news on LBYM today and the parents board. In a nutshell, the baby we'd expected to adopt has been "diverted" by the mother. Her sister - who blessedly already has 6 children -- will raise the child. Rather than rehash my original post here, I provide its link.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20390907&sort=whole

That's not why I am writing now, tho'. I thought sharing my grief with others would help me feel better -- and to a degree it does -- but I found in reading the very kind replies to it, I seemed to hurt just a little bit more.

I find myself repeating over and over in my head a number of defensive rationalizations:

That it is OKAY to be infertile.

That I have many fine physical and personal qualities that more than compensate for this "inadequacy."

That I can redirect my child-loving energies towards activities that benefit many needy children.

That I will not be alone in my old age because I have so many loving nephews and nieces.

That never being called "Mommy" is something I can just get over.

That I can save all the money I would've spent raising a child and do something incredibly magnanimous with it, saving the world and all that.

That my desire to have a child might simply be conceit - looking for some small-faced miracle to think her mommy is the best singer, incredibly silly, great nurse, super courageous, most wonderfulest hugger in the world.

I know it is not the end of the world. It's just that this latest "rejection" serves as a REMINDER that I cannot have my own baby -- formed from the very best that I and my much-loved mate could offer -- and it pries back open a wound that had seemed to be finally healing.

I thought you good folks could understand this sentiment perhaps better than anyone...
AbsGal
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.