No. of Recommendations: 0
So this is a weird one, which has sent us off to the drawing board. We've made our decision, but I thought I would stick a thermometer in the board and see what the temperature is here.

Mrs. Goofy recently got a mailing from a previous employer that she has a pension coming (honestly, she didn't know.) She is 62, in reasonably good health (father alive at 93, mother died at 70). The pension will provide around $200/mo for life*, they are offering a one-time "give out" of $34,000 to get it off the books.

Facts we had to consider while deciding: I am 70, about to be forced next year to extract $55,000/yr from an IRA which will count as income, we have another $25/yr in rental income, another $20k from SS, and another decent slug from interest and dividends. That's a long way of saying I'm not going to be able to manipulate our income into low- or no-tax levels ever again. So the "new found" $200/mo will be in a higher tax bracket than it might otherwise be.

There is a deadline date in about a month, after which the "give out" option will not be available.

No kids, no heirs. Just charities to think about.

So. Take it all now, or take it monthly forever? (In our life this is not what you'd call a big decision, but it did present an interesting and unexpected problem to solve.)

*There are other annuitized options, including spousal survival and others which reduce the monthly payout, but since I am 8 years older than her and in worse health, those are moot as far as this decision goes.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.