No. of Recommendations: 12
Been a bit since our polling competition. That was prior to our discovery of SMAR and the revelation of Elastic. If I recall correctly the final 4 were as follows: Square and Mongo tied in the finals. Every day thereafter I would look and Square would be up one, then Mongo, and then I stopped looking. There were more than 130 votes in the final and yet the tie.

Zscaler was a runner up. My fault I think for Nutanix having reached the final 4. Nutanix kept losing, and I kept tossing them back into play. A spell I guess. Another sign, of many, to keep it away. But poo pooing after poo pooing. But the lesson has been expressed and learned.

As we stand here today a manifesto, completely accurate was put forward by Saul on Zscaler. I actually do not expect Zscaler to do much in the near future. I actually believe it is much more likely it goes down than up, at least for awhile. But absent some disruption or true competitor entering its sphere in a material manner the current marketcap seems much less than it will someday achieve. Zscaler will certainly (absent the previous express competitor/disruption issue) have a far higher marketshare in its market than any of the current vendors, and one of the vendors has been (and perhaps is) still valued at over $20 billion in marketcap.

Mongo...yeah, Mongo has won. Like with Zscaler (as Saul expressed so well, it takes reference customers and Zscaler has become mainstream and no longer a science experiment for just the very desperate (like GE was) or the very visionary (like Microsoft has been of late).

No profit expected of Mongo, but a multi-billion dollar company, indeed.

Square, I actually have not followed it other than last I looked, a while back, it had retained its $30 billion marketcap it had pre-crash. Has Square proven itself as have Zscaler and Mongo?

Sure enough however, had one bought the top 4, one would be very pleased at the moment.

Thus a recap of last year’s stock preference polling.

I do such things all the time, informally, helps clear the head and the field. Difficult to live with too many great choices. Of flooring options (that I will write of later) I simply do not have enough floor to fill my home with all the flooring choices that are just plain awesome. I am now quite the advocate for top notch engineered luxury vinyl flooring. Not the cheap stuff, but the top notch stuff (that can be had quite reasonably actually/ except one Shaw offering I love that is $9 a sq foot and sold out everywhere else that it may go for less). But another topic.

Anyways, the closest comparable to Mongo is Elastic. It may become difficult to prefer or equate Elastic to Mongo as things stand now. But I think worth a conversation.

Btw/ latest market share findings for the security and other closely related markets has Splunk at #2, with a very minority marketshare, in the teens. IBM is #1. I forget their share. Splunk has therefore not dominated its industry. But Splunk has dominated those customers who have adopted Splunk (except for the minority who have switched to Elastic). Elastic did not even make the marketshare study.

Tinker
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.