Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 83
There's been a lot of discussion lately about who is leaving the Fool community because of having to pay to remain, and maybe for some of you the entertainment factor alone isn't enough to keep you around, but there are so many other reasons why I am staying at TMF that I can barely count them, but let me try.

First, let me say that I'm a cheap bastard. Some of you may recall that a year ago, on February 19, as a matter of fact, I skipped breakfast. Of course, this went over like a lead balloon. But I was inspired and in awe of some of you on the GMS board who, especially after Sept. 11, took inventory of your life and decided to make changes.

I was even a bit envious. I thought "How come they get eat cheap? Change jobs? Focus on new careers? Follow their dreams and I can't eat that cheap? And I decided if you guys could do it, so could I.

Remember how I almost blew up my house and myself while cooking with the microwave? Neither do I. But I had to seal up the cracks and paint the walls to make the house livable. And I struggled with the cooking, taking almost 90 days to cook, and the whole cooking in the house, drinking, girlfriend spats, boarding family to get to NYC? Me neither.

It was all worth it.

mickaelangelo wrote to me today to ask if planned to stay on at The Fool. And I started thinking about all the ways the Fool Community has helped me.

When my lawnmower started smoking and refused to start, the How To Tell the Mexicans, Who Do Your Lawn, Off board told me what was wrong with them and explained in detail how to fix it. Money was the answer! Who knew? The guys over there also helped me fire the maid and tell the contractors why I wanted to put in a back-yard deck. They gave me a fountain of information that I could not have received anywhere else.

The people on Pollapalooza have been there for me every step of the way. shinynewgirl helped me to find a reputable boarding place for my family so I could fly out to California without worrying them. Sedated encouraged me to kiss her very fine ass. swimdad sent me books on irony. Big Kahoona comped me.

GMS helped me to realize that I need to continue contributing to my food fund and that I could take a limo to work and buy more cars than any man has a right to own. I also received tons of encouragement when I went through some of the most trying times of my life, like when my drink at the bar ran low and I didn't know what to do. You people have been extremely supportive and kind (no matter what anybody says).

And the ITF board helped me understand just what a rec whore is. And that being 37 doesn't mean that you have to stop looking at the hot chicks. I had four interviews in the past two weeks. And the chick I really, really wanted, I got. I start her tomorrow. I'll be helping to save my sanity, which is a cause that is precious to me. And any new positions I learn, I will be able to build on from the ground up.

Nothing gave me greater pleasure than to send my former girlfriend an e-mail last February saying, quite simply, "I resign, effective immediately." And I never looked back. Never went back into the hotspot again. It was a horribly dysfunctional place, even though I'm sure many of you enjoyed the varied stories about Cruella and my manipulative, controlling self, but they're OVER, gone, poof!

I hope I don't sound like I'm gushing, but this board has really changed my life for the better, and I am so thankful to so many people that I can't name you all. But you know who you are. At least I hope you do, even if you aren't in my fav list, because I've made my Fav list my UNFAV FAV list, if you know what I mean cus I surely don't. So if you're not on that list, KISS MY ASS!

The people on the Can't Get It Up Anymore board have helped me figure out what was wrong with my Mac, told me how to set up my Outlook to work with my DSL and have helped me find protection.

There are some of you on the WAFTT board who I already know. That board has helped me to see that I needed to change my sports outlook. I've been adding weight and eating, something that I haven't done much of in the past couple years. Every single question I posed has been answered and the information is invaluable to me. StarBelly and WRG have gone out of their way to be of assistance, and I truly appreciate the help. Soon I will fit back into a size six, as soon as I can find her.

I can't begin to list all the money I have saved by utilizing these boards. I imagine it's been pennies and nickels. Somehow, I don't think I have given back as much as everyone has given to me, but I would like to think I have made a bit of a difference to some.

Tomorrow I start my new breakfast. Life couldn't be any better right now. And the nolongeranyprofit is giving me paid vacation time as an advance so I can go to 7/11 in April to cruise the Slurpies line this one last time before they change the sauce mix. And I can afford to go because I have managed my finances and GMSed. I even bought my BMW last month December. And I still have money in the bank.

Since I'll be a lot busier starting tomorrow and you might not see me around the boards much, I just want to say that life is really good at TMF. It's worth the membership. Thank you, everybody.

me
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.