Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The way I understand (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong)it is that if you participated in a defined contribution plan or a defined benefit plan anytime during a tax year you are not eligible to participate in a traditional IRA (deductible), but you may participate in a Roth IRA (non-deductible). A SEP-IRA (IRA contributions of a business on behalf of employees) is only available to self-employeds who are not covered by any other retirement plan because it is a deductible IRA.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.