Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
The way to look at is this. Your mortgage carries an interest rate of let's say 8%. If you put that $83 dollars toward you mortgage, essentially what you'd be doing is getting a return of 8% on your $83. Or you might choose to put that $83 in the market. You're probably going to make more than 8%. Possibly more like 10% to 15%.

Okay, I can live with that...but you must then subtract the 8% interest you are still paying on the mortgage (If you are getting 10-15% in one hand, but paying 8% out of the the other hand)...brings your gain down to 2%-7% LESS than if you were to just pay off your mortgage. Besides, there are plenty of other places to cut $83. I think the BEST investment is peace of mind. There is no better peace than living debt free!!

First off, I am one of those people who is paying down their mortgage as fast as reasonably possible. For me, I just hate debt of any kind. But there is more to consider than the 8% (or these days more like 7%) mortgage vs. your investment return.

If you take the tax deduction into account for your mortgage, your real interest rate is less than 7%. Depending on your tax bracket and your state taxes, let's say you are paying about 30% in taxes. If so then that mortgage interest deduction is like a 30% reduction in interest, so your actual interest rate is
7% * 70% = 4.9%

At this rate, it may make more sense to put your extra payments into a money market account than to pay down your mortgage. I still hate debt however, so I will continue to pay down my mortgage ahead of time.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.