Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 16
the world is watching to see what Hamas will do. If they actually control themselves and become a government instead of a gang, and if they can control their militants and keep them from trying to shread Jewish children into little pieces of glistening flesh that have to be scraped off of walls, then Israel will respond in kind.

Perhaps their membership is more disciplined that Fatah and they can control the attacks. The burden of proof is on them. Perhaps their fundamentalism will not be used against their more secular Palestinian brethren, a fear that Hanan Ashwari has expressed. It isn't only Jews who are concerned about Hamas achieving state power.

If they revert to form, then no doubt Israel will unilaterally withdraw from parts of the west bank to solidify its security posture. dont expect too much goodwill towards the Palestinians in that scenario, they might end up with 50-60% of the west bank.

a negotiated settlement might get them 90+% of the west bank, and part of east Jerusalem for Al Quds, and a highway corridor linking the west bank with Gaza. and the economic advantage of being Israels closest neighbor. In a unilateral move, I doubt that any part of Jerusalem will be offered, neither will a linking highway corridor, and neither will the hundreds of thousands of jobs that Israel could create in the Palestinian communities.

Yes Abe, i am a zionist. I believe the Palestinians are human and have developed a distinct political identity, I believe most of the settlements will need to be turned over to them, I believe they need their own state under their own political control. But not at the expense of Israel and its citizens.

Its very easy to be an internationalist when you already have had a nation that your community can live in and have had that privelege for centuries. It's harder when you have had less than nothing for centuries on end. The world taught us well, 60 years ago, what it is capable of. We will be internationalists too, once the international community allows us our existence.

Until then, the only guarantor of the Jewish people is the Jewish people. this the world has also taught us.

dov
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.