Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/10/31/242102879/for-the...

Two perspectives - that are closer than they initially seem:

I met Matt Rife, a comic, at the Cazt agency's open call for a comedy show. Rife, 18, works at comedy clubs and doesn't have health insurance. But he does need it, he says.
"Like, if I get hurt, I'm kind of screwed," he says. "If I get sick, I'm on my own — I'm down to some ibuprofen and some cough drops and that's about it."
Rife says he and his friends don't talk much about health care because it seems like a distant political thing that doesn't have much to do with them.
"We're worried about it, but not, like, 'Oh, we gotta get this today or we're going to be in trouble,' you know."
If something did happen, Rife says, having insurance would be nice. But he admits he'd like to buy a car first.

Over at The Bar Method, a small health club in Long Beach, Calif., Aubrey Castle-Saunders teaches a workout that's a cross between Pilates, yoga and 1980s aerobics. She's 29 and doesn't have health insurance right now.
Up until last year, she says, she would rather have paid a penalty than buy coverage. She's healthy and takes care of herself, she figured. But then she got kidney stones.
"And it was completely out of the blue, and the bill was astronomical," she says — and the pain was unbearable, too. That was a wake-up call, Castle-Saunders says. She's gone to HealthCare.gov to look at the plans, but even now she's not 100 percent sure she's going to enroll.
"I really do want to sign up. And I most likely will," she says. "But it's just kind of like, oh God, OK, I have to put ... that money out there. So I really am dragging my feet."

----------

ACA needs millions like these two to enroll.
Print the post Back To Top
The young think they are immortal.
Of course it's a hard sell.

The young have very little disposable income to start with and when the government tells them to go spend pretty much all of your disposable income on health insurance they aren't going to say, "sounds great".
She's healthy and takes care of herself, she figured. But then she got kidney stones.

________

There's another flaw in the law...young and healthy waiting until they are sick before enrolling because they can't be denied coverage or overcharged for having a pre-existing condition.
<i.There's another flaw in the law...young and healthy waiting until they are sick before enrolling because they can't be denied coverage or overcharged for having a pre-existing condition.

Can't do that very effetively. The open enrollment every year is limited. You can't get sick in July and sign up in August, for example.