Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
The young resident is still in the stage where the vastness of his ignorance has yet to dawn upon him, and where he still draws comfort from high exam scores in the past.

I wonder about the extent of true Resident contact you have had based on these alarming and highly condescending conclusions you have reached about our foot soldiers of the future. Most Residents I have worked with regard their board scores as a distant memory. They usually (not always) approach opportunities to learn with alacrity, confused why they know so little despite a high board score. Most realize most of the knowledge they will use in future practice is gleaned through a devout work ethic, and openness of one's mind to the learning process. Far too often it is a condescending and demeaning attending who would rather put his own credentials on display that really interrupts this crucial step in the learning process. You seem to mock the idea that a young physician can be steeped in promise and idealism. I laud this quality and hope that his qualities weather the test of time better than you seem to have.

Once he has ventured further into the real world and made his own mistakes, he may see the need for opportunities the net can provide.

A young resident who places such a high amount of stock in the personal interview should be commended and not condemned. It is appalling that a seasoned veteran like yourself would mock such a noble value simply because it is found in the 'young resident.' It is almost as if you expect this resident to succumb to some sort of hazing initiative before his opinions and values are worthy of your criticism.

The future for Health Care on the net is obviously massive, and almost totally untapped at present.

Not one person who has commented on this thread disagrees with this reverberating truth. I have been a pioneer in implementing the internet into daily medical practice. I fully embrace it and its potential. At the same time, I recognize the possibility for abuse. Apparently this opinion only warrants the directive 'to go bury my head in the sand.' I assure you that my level of education rivals yours and I might even be worthy of your criticism. My advice is to let go of the burdensom ego so we can discuss this intriguing topic in a civil manner.

Eljar

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.