No. of Recommendations: 3
TheBreeze,

You wrote, I moved about half my 401k into a brokerage account within the 401k. The fee is, IIRC, 0.025% per year, assessed quarterly. The commissions are $7.95 for some things, 0 for others (buy mutual funds that are "in the family" of the administering company). For the $7.95 times two (once to buy and, eventually again to sell), I have some ETFs whose fees are like 0.15%. All told, I'm saving money on fees compared to the 1% and even 0.3% on the mutual funds within the "regular" 401k choices.

I'm happy with a couple of the "regular" 401k choices. Also, it's useful for the semi-monthly deposit. You could kill yourself paying a brokerage commission twice a month time four or so funds each time.

I'm sure my own employer is probably paying something similar on my behalf so we can use the brokerage window without an extra charge.

As for your second point about semi-monthly contributions, I had a similar concern when I had a brokerage option. My 401(k) is at Fidelity. They have a list of commission-free ETFs, which I've confirmed are still commissions free in our brokerage window. Does your 401(k)'s broker have anything similar? Given the commission your broker charges ($7.95), I have to wonder if you're not also at Fidelity...

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.