No. of Recommendations: 0
Theists have a generally rigid set of beliefs, usually informed by some form of "holy book". Deists are atheists in so far as they don't believe in any of the gods of Abraham or Hinduism or any others. As I think Hitchens used to say to a theist (like Dinesh D'Souza), "you're an atheist with respect to all the other gods...I'm just an atheist to one more than you". But deists do believe in some "higher power", generally credited with creating the universe but is otherwise indifferent.

The issue in question is whether theists are more dogmatic than atheists.

Dogmatic about what? Dogmatic refers to holding beliefs that are regarded as incontrovertibly true (whether or not they actually are). Atheists could be dogmatic about vaccines, or organic food, or any of a number of things. Just like anyone else.

Again, atheists simply are not convinced there is a deity of any sort. They are not-theists. Everything after that is up for grabs.

Suppose we take a more open-minded approach and treat as theist anyone who believes in a "higher power". Theists would then range from the rigid organized religions, to the more unstructured nondenominational ecumenical sects, to eclectic New Age spirituality, to those who believe in the God of the bible but prefer their own interpretation. That is a pretty broad group that I would be hesitant to make generalizations about.

Not sure about the new age stuff regarding where that would fall. I don't know it very well. I did a double-check, and another part of the definition of "theist" is that the deity(ies) intervene. Deists don't believe they do. But, except for the deists, it does sound like most of what you describe is theistic.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.