Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Then I converted the percentages to dollars based on a theoretical $1000. (aj2)

============================================

What would you think of upping the ante? If you're thinking of using a theoretical starting sum of $1000, why not consider $10,000 or even $100,000? You should then keep track of the cost of commissions for the stock transactions that take place as they can have a direct effect (over time) on the performance of your investments.

I'm assuming that you might want to keep your commissions at around 1-2% of the portfolio. If so, it's obviously much easier to do this when the average (theoretical) stock transaction is at least $1000.

If you are using an online broker like Datek, your average commission would be $10 per stock transaction. If the transaction is at least $1000, your commissions are staying at the targeted 1%.

It's easy to keep track of the overall performance of your index when you use the Fool's "My Portfolio" feature.

Good luck but remember that things never work out the same on paper as they do in real life. The thought process can be skewed unless we are actually reaching right down in our pocket and grabbing a handful of our hard earned dollars to ante up.

bs5

P.S. If you change stocks as often as you've changed names, you will surely go broke paying commissions.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.