Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 11

...Then you can throw more money into it, right? So, what makes sense, put more into the DRIP every month, or every quarter, once a year? Or am I totally not making sense?

BTW, my wife makes great pumkin soup!

thanks
biosmile
==========

Short answer - as often as you can.

One share earns dividends for that share that get reinvested. If you invest more money, more often, your account is now much larger than that starter share. The important part is having that share so you can start this compounding process.

You then get a dividend for all shares held on the record date, then you keep sending investments, and those shares earn dividends that are reinvested to buy more shares, and those shares purchased with those dividends earn dividends that are used to purchase more shares. This is ongoing and as time passes and the account balance grows, you will notice you are earning more in dividends than your original cost basis is for your initial share, and those you bought in the beginning. Then you say, "Why didn't I send in more back then?"

At least that is what I have been saying...

Hope that helps. Do you have a recipe?

exilion
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.