No. of Recommendations: 16
I finished reading Bad Blood, about Theranos, the Silicon Valley med-tech company that claimed they could perform a large number of blood tests, from a very small sample, in a very short period of time.

They raised $600 million US dollars as of last May. Last week, the founder Elizabeth Holmes was charged with wire fraud. Some really smart investors got taken to the cleaners.

I'm not 100% sure this is on-topic (apologies if it is not), but I thought it was valuable for a couple of reasons.

One, many of the stock picks on this board are technology stocks, and based in Silicon Valley. This book gives you an idea of the seedy underbelly of technology start-ups, fake it till you make it, and pivoting. Hopefully it encourages a bit of skepticism.

Two, it re-inforces what the knowledgebase says about investing in companies with great management. Theranos was a horror show of misrepresentation, dishonesty, internally siloing information, bullying employees, and other unbelievable behaviour.

It was written by the Wall Street Journal investigative reporter that broke the story that led to the fall of the company. Consider it a hi-tech All The Presidents Men.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/549478/bad-blood-by...

David.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.