Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 7
There are 19 million Americans who own an AR-15 style rifle.

If you get hit with ANY high power rifle bullet, you're in trouble.

If you get hit with a handgun bullet designed to quickly take down a suspect (not a standard 9mm) but say a .45 Mag.....you're going down for the count.

Of the 19 million people who own an AR, let's see...that's 0.000000001 % of the legally owned AR-15s out there than get used in a crime.

Now, there are what, 100 million vehicles registered - but probably only half that on the road in operating condition or the ones used only on a Sunday to the local car meet. Out of that hundreds of millions, there are 35,000 fatal traffic accidents and another 150,000 serious injuries in auto accidents, with over half of them caused by drunk drivers (often already convicted of several prior drunk driving offenses. )

If you are worrying about people dying, sometimes in mass accidents where 20-30 die all at one time, you'd spend a lot more time getting and keeping drunk drivers off the road. You'd save tens of thousands of lives, spare 50,000 serious injuries.

You're odds of being in a traffic accident this year is about 1 in 3000. Hmmmm....

I'd be a lot more worried about being mowed down by a drunk driver on my way the Walmart......than I am about being shot in the Walmart.

according to the latest news:

"As of Friday, Portland police said the number of homicides in Portland for 2021 was 42, including 5 deaths being investigated as homicides."

even more so

"My Chances of Becoming a Victim of a Violent Crime
1 in 181 in Portland

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/or/portland/crime

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.