Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
There are, broadly speaking, 4 camps in the climate debate - Denialists, Skeptics, Warmists and Alarmists*.
The extremes on both sides, and their apologists, like to utilize the standard crimes against logic.

I often wonder why you, in particular, are so sensitive to arguments from authority.
I often wonder why you, in particular, are so embracing of the appeal to authority as a justification. Not what I would expect from a Friend, but I only know a handful so maybe my sample is biased.
I am always suspicious of someone who abdicates their own reason and responsibility by saying "Well, so-and-so says...".

Not being a fool, I always evaluate the source when weighing the evidence.
I evaluate the evidence on its own merit. I may use sources I trust for more data, and I may put data from a suspicious source through a bit more scrutiny, but I always expect the data to stand on its own.
Let me provide an example - I absolutely loathe Michael Moore. He is a self-promoting propagandist of the worst sort. That said, most of his movie Roger and Me is spot on. I don't reject the facts simply because it is Moore spouting them.

This is not reifying or bowing to authority, it is merely weighing the evidence.
This statement absolutely boggles my mind. I know you actually mean it, and I cannot fathom how or why.

-------------
* There are also individuals who label themselves as LukeWarmists. For my part, I group most of them in with skeptics, though they may quibble.
I suspect Loren considers himself a Warmist, though I tend to find him leaning Alarmist upon occasion.
I see jck as firmly in the Skeptics.
I also find most Warmists have difficulty telling the difference between a Skeptic and a Denialist. I blame group-think.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.