No. of Recommendations: 7
There are certainly psychological issue which could factor in. But one other issue is cash flow and a down market.

I don't know where your investments are sitting right now which you would use to pay off the mortgage. I am going to assume in the stock market. Stocks are at a pretty high point right now (I don't know and will not even try to predict the actual high).

Here is one scenario for you. Stocks decline as part of a recession. If you had sold some stocks to pay for the mortgage at the high, you could reduce your withdrawal rate during the down market to a greater extent because you do not have a mortgage payment.

One common piece of advice is to minimize withdrawals during bear markets. That is much easier to do with no mortgage payment.

So in a way, you could view paying off the mortgage as method to minimize risk of a near term recession.

c
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.