No. of Recommendations: 1
There are definitely implementation problems with what I'm talking about.
It's just trying to make mechanical what Mungo posts so often about: selling around the approximate top and putting money back in when there's blood in the streets.
Easy to say and hard to do.

Back when I was first looking at timing, I found a number of systems that seemed reasonable and which I thought I understood. Then I sat down and wrote down the exact steps (rules) for the system.....and realized that there was a whole bunch of handwaving. If you cannot write down the rules and the steps to take--the EXACT rules that could be programmed into a shell script or batch file or excel spreadsheet--then you will not be able to use the system.

For example: What exactly does "blood in the streets" mean?

It's easy to say because there's usually nothing concrete, just a bunch of vague and/or contradictory rules. It's hard to do-- for the same reason.

Pretend that you are writing down the instruction that your son/wife/mother are going to follow to manage your money while you are in a coma. Can it be done?

A good example was when I was investigating the Guyton-Klinger withdrawal method. I understood it (I thought!), and tried to write a spreadsheet to do it. Came to a part where I just couldn't figure what to do. So I posted a detailed question on a retirement investing board. Half a dozen people replied to help straighten me out. Every single one started out with "Oh, that's simple. You just do this and that and .... hmmm, well actually I can't figure it out either."
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.