Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
...there are plenty of incompetent tax preparers and estate planners and financial planners out there.

Yes indeed!

If you are not extremely involved in this type of planning, you won't even know how to consider the options presented you by your planners.

I disagree. The planners should present their suggestions in language that a layman can understand.
As patients, we have to evaluate what doctors tell us; as homeowners, we have to evaluate what contractors tell us; as voters we have to evaluate what candidates tell us; as taxpayers we have to evaluate what TurboTax, CPA's, and Motley Fool posters tell us; and as mortal Americans with assets and children we have to evaluate what estate planning attorneys tell us.
In each case, the speaker knows more than we do about his area of expertise, but we can still decide whether what's presented makes sense. And we can generally ask questions. In your shoes, the first question I'd ask an estate planning attorney is, "What advantage would there be in hiring you over doing it myself?" If you interview 3, and none can give you a good answer to that, then you can DIY with a clear conscience.

...the biggest challenge to negotiating my father's future at this point is not managing his assets. It is managing his emotions and anxiety at having his world turned upside down....

I'm so sorry. It's a pickle. I'm not looking forward to my father's having to move. He's determined to stay put, and I'm not seeing that as viable for too much longer.

Best of luck to your family.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.