Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
There are so many other items to consider when selecting the right color choices.

A lot of natural light in the room? or limited light?
What style are you comfortable with? What do you want to avoid?

If you are not sure, I tell my clients to start with this task.
It's better to do this and then hire a professional Interior Designer to assist. It's hard for anyone to guess at what you might or might not like.

Start with magazines, about 10 manilla folders and label them.
Kitchen
Baths
Wall colors
Carpet
etc..

literally tear out pictures in magazine and sort them as per the folders
Once you have at least 5-10 photos in the main files..... go back through them and I bet you will see a "trend"

Two examples:
a) With Cherry cabinets, I selected a sage green for the walls, cream trim, UBA TUBA granite for the counters, neutral beige stone 6" squares at a diagonal for the backsplash and for easy maintenance (kids and dogs) we had her floor scored and stained (used umber/gold tones and cherry tones). We found a few area rugs for her keeping room and breakfast area to add warmth and it turned out wonderful. But she had high ceilings, recessed lighting for accents and a lot of natural light. This kitchen had a more "transitional feel" to it. We kept stainless steel appliances but also had mingled a few antiques as well.

Recently, another kitchen with cherry cabinets with low levels of natural light so we were careful with the "dark" colors and chose them wisely. We selected a light gold/mustard color for the walls, neutral stone tile for the floors and backsplash and they kept the UBA TUBA Granite on the counters. (There was a "special" that the client couldn't resist on the UBA TUBA..... it has gold tones and the green/black variations) We kept the flooring and backsplash lighter as well as the walls. We also increased the dramatic light by placing recessed cans over the 10' island and in the main pathway. It turned out just as lovely as the other kitchen. A little more modern than the first but still in the transitional setting.

A more contemporary look: adding glass tiles to the backsplash, keep stainless steel appliances, but add more glass to the front of the cabinet doors (pattern to the glass) as well. Keep the counters lighter as well and add contemporary bar stools. Island could be completely different than the rest of the millwork too.

Just a few thoughts! Get magazines!! Start your files!! Good luck!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.