Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
There has been a new commercial I've been hearing on the radio lately that just has been ticking me off to no end. It's for some place called Financial Freedom or something like that. The couple (who are not actors according to the commercial) refuse to file bankruptcy. The woman won't accept the shame that goes with it. ARGH!!!!!

Yeah. I've seen them, and another couple of commercials of similar companies as well. Some thoughts:

- Yes, if your debt can be managed by one of those non-profits and one can avoid the BK route, they are fine. Lot's of uninformed people I met at my BK hearings with cases that sounded like an organization such as CCCS or "Financial Freedom" (or whatever their name is) could've helped. BK should really be the last stop.

- Too bad they use the "shame" excuse, maintaining your credit rating sounds like good enough reason to me instead of overly dramatizing the BK stigma. (I guess we rank one step below "the stuff in the back of the fridge" for these advertising people.

- Yes, the attitude is that BK is the pits (Let's not kid ourselves, it really is) however, those commercials are light years away compared to the cheap BK lawyers running their commercials during the morning talk shows, where no concern is given but "quick relief" is offered. In a sense, not even the BK lawyers themselves address the issue of what BK can provide (good and bad) in any of their commercials.

- Also, one more note, services such as Financial Freedom or CCCS help people with balloning "Unsecured" debt (CC, personal loans, etc...) Other stuff like 2nd mortgages, car/furniture loans or Student loans are not what they can assist people with. I know because I tried going to these places but because of my specific debts they declined to help me.

Anyway, happy new year to everyone!!! These holidays were "money-managed" a whole lot better and they were good. 24 months to go to pay my entire debt, I will try to speed it up.

Ciscokidnmemphis
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.