Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
There is a minor holiday called "pesach sheni" when is a month after passover. I saw an article that some people who were in hospital or similar on passover did make a seder and such on pesach sheni. Otherwise it was a holiday for earlier times (a second chance to bring the passover sacrifice for those who were unable to).

silencer
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Since Passover is based on the story of Moses, I seriously doubt he or the book of Exodus provide guidelines for the observance.

Fuskie
Who has never heard of such a thing but that doesn't mean it couldn't be a thing...

-----

As announced on April 1st, instead of the annual prank, The Motley Fool is donating $1m to New York to help with the SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 pandemic. We know people all over the world are donating money, helping their neighbors, and assisting their community in many ways. We all need to be reminded of the positive still in the world and TMF would like to compile a list of positive stories of paying it forward. Please post your original tales of kindness as well as previously published stories of good on the new Comfort Stories board:

https://boards.fool.com/greetings-fool-34461144.aspx

-----
Ticker Guide: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME), MongoDB (MDB), Trip Advisor (TRIP), Vivendi SA (VIVHY), Mimecast (MIME), Hain Celestial (HAIN), Royce Micro Capital Trust (RMT)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disassociation: The views and statements of this post are Fuskie's and are not intended to represent those of The Motley Fool or any other sane body
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Fool Code of Conduct: https://www.fool.com/legal/the-motley-fools-rules.aspx#Condu...
Invitation: You are invited to interactively watch Motley Fool Live online television: https://livechat.fool.com
Call to Action: If you like this or any other post, Rec it. Better yet, reply to it. Even better, start your own thread. This is YOUR TMF Community!
No. of Recommendations: 0
Agreed - but didn't want to argue with son.....since I'm jewish, but not observant.
thx
No. of Recommendations: 3
The book of Numbers (Bamidbar) Chapter 9 has an account of some men who were unclean because of a dead person and coul not celebrate Pesach at the appointed time. They went to Moses who asked G-d and He said, “Speak to the sons of Israel, saying, ‘If any one of you or of your generations becomes unclean because of a dead 6 person, or is on a distant journey, he may, however, observe the Passover to the L-RD. ‘In the second month on the fourteenth day at twilight, they shall observe it; they shall eat it with unleavened bread and bitter herbs.
I didn't read far enough in Numbers Chapter 9.

Verse 13 ‘But the man who is clean and is not on a journey, and yet neglects to observe the Passover, that person shall then be cut off from his people, for he did not present the offering of the LORD at its appointed time. That man will bear his sin.

Celebration of Pesach was not optional for the children of Israel.
I was never very good with numbers. :-)

Fuskie
Who wishes everyone a healthy passover however your family celebrates...

-----

As announced on April 1st, instead of the annual prank, The Motley Fool is donating $1m to New York to help with the SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 pandemic. We know people all over the world are donating money, helping their neighbors, and assisting their community in many ways. We all need to be reminded of the positive still in the world and TMF would like to compile a list of positive stories of paying it forward. Please post your original tales of kindness as well as previously published stories of good on the new Comfort Stories board:

https://boards.fool.com/greetings-fool-34461144.aspx

-----
Ticker Guide: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME), MongoDB (MDB), Trip Advisor (TRIP), Vivendi SA (VIVHY), Mimecast (MIME), Hain Celestial (HAIN), Royce Micro Capital Trust (RMT)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disassociation: The views and statements of this post are Fuskie's and are not intended to represent those of The Motley Fool or any other sane body
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Fool Code of Conduct: https://www.fool.com/legal/the-motley-fools-rules.aspx#Condu...
Invitation: You are invited to interactively watch Motley Fool Live online television: https://livechat.fool.com
Call to Action: If you like this or any other post, Rec it. Better yet, reply to it. Even better, start your own thread. This is YOUR TMF Community!
Thank you both For your input. Interesting - however i think I’ll just let ”sleeping Elijahs rest“ undeterred and undisturbed. Lol
Since Passover is based on the story of Moses, I seriously doubt he or the book of Exodus provide guidelines for the observance.

Exodus 12:11 gives instructions for the first Passover (in Egypt):
And thus shall ye eat it: with your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and
your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it in haste--it is the LORD'S passover.

And Leviticus (23:5-8) provides guidelines for subsequent observances:
5 In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at dusk, is the L-RD'S passover.
6 And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto
the L-RD; seven days ye shall eat unleavened bread.
7 In the first day ye shall have a holy convocation; ye shall do no manner of servile work.
8 And ye shall bring an offering made by fire unto the L-RD seven days; in the
seventh day is a holy convocation; ye shall do no manner of servile work.
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but it looks like this has already been answered. (Short version: In modern times, one may not celebrate a month later.)
No. of Recommendations: 1
There is a minor holiday called "pesach sheni" when is a month after passover. I saw an article that some people who were in hospital or similar on passover did make a seder and such on pesach sheni. Otherwise it was a holiday for earlier times (a second chance to bring the passover sacrifice for those who were unable to).

silencer