Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
There is a reporting requirement for $10,000 or more deposited in cash (and it is illegal to structure deposits with the intent of avoiding the reporting requirement), there is also a reporting requirement for any cash transaction of $10,000 or more, so you can't expect to walk into a car dealer and buy a $40,000 car to avoid the reporting requirements.

I may be naive (make that, "I am naive"), but my inclination would be to go to the branch manager, state right out that you have a substantial cash deposit to make, you are aware that there is a reporting requirement, and show the branch manager any documentation you might have to support that it is from your grandfather's estate. If you have a letter of transmittal from the executor of the estate, photographs of where the cash was found, or even a declaration of the cash when the estate taxes were filed, it would make your statements more credible. Also, if the bills have dates spanning several decades, it would help support the "bank distrusting, cash hording" nature of your grandfather as why there is so much cash.

If all the bills were less than five years old, you may have a mystery on your hands, and then you may have to find where the cash came from (e.g., any bank records showing a $40,000 cash withdrawal or a structured withdrawal program that totals near the $40,000).
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.