No. of Recommendations: 1
There is a way to continue deferring taxes.
At maturity, you can exchange series EE bonds for
series H bonds. At that point you begin receiving 4% interest twice a year for 10 years.
Alternatively, if you cash in the bonds, you must pay the tax right away. When series EE bonds mature, you have one year to exchange for Series H if you wish. You cannot buy series H bonds directly; the only way you can get them is by exchanging EE bonds for them.
If the tax would be 30% or more, the 4% on the whole amount amounts to the same dollar amount as 6% on what would be left after cashing in bonds and paying tax.
Now, figuring a 10% return on the stock market, investing in equities is by far even better, although you would have all that tax to pay. But if your partner has never invested in equities and would be very nervous about this, the H (or HH) bonds are an option that will provide reliable income and avoid the tax man for another 10 years.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.