No. of Recommendations: 0
There is no threshold over which you cannot contribute to an IRA.
The contribution may not be tax deductible. That is a different subject.
If you have a high income, you many not be eligible for a Roth IRA, but you can still have a non-deductible traditional.
It is well to have both one or more IRAs and 401k retirement plans, especially if your employer matches part of your contribution.
If you have already started an IRA and are under 59 1/2, there would be a 10% penalty in addition to taxes if you had before-tax contributions in the IRA.
You have more investment options in your IRA if you have invested with a discount broker or a large mutual fund company.
So do both!
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.