Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
There is nothing remotely unethical about filling any legitimate prescription.

Wrong.

Let us say that I have prescription for Drug A and I have to go to a different doctor for another issue and for whatever reason, that doctor gives me a scrip for Drug B.

Let us imagine I go to the same pharmacy that I use to fill Drug A every month. The pharmacist looks at his computer and discovers that Drug A and Drug B taken together are deadly.

The pharmacist approaches me and informs me of his discovery. Being in a hurry, tired, an antsy five year old at my side and generally bitchy, I tell him "yeah whatever... I'm sure my doctor knows what he's doing, give me the pills".

In this instance the pharmacist does have the ethical obligation to withhold the prescription. I believe dispensing this drug would open the pharmacist to negligence charges (though I could be wrong).

Granted this is completely different than "personal religious reasons", but it is a counterpoint to your statement above.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.