Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
There is one thing that continues to render every description of being a man practically useless in modern day living-

Whenever a man decides to take a stand against a corrupted majority, he is, of course, placing himself in jeopardy in some way with the powers that be. When done in the name of justice or some other virtue, this is a courageous act and should be applauded.

That being said, should the powers that be decide to come down on him negatively, which is always the danger, it is not only him that will suffer. If he has a family, they will also suffer. Whoever relies on his productivity will suffer as well.

It is not only the man that must act with courage and conviction in order to live up to these descriptions. Those he supports must also be willing to sacrifice whatever benefits are garnered from seeking the status quo and not rocking the boat in order that the man be free to challenge wrongdoing. Otherwise, the man is not living up to his charge as the breadwinner and protector of those that rely on him.

"Because I took on the corrupt overlords, I am now out in the street, but I am a man and should be willing to accept that consequence in the name of doing right."

And now his children are homeless, his wife sleeps on the sidewalk, and 'dinner' is sketchy.

I hold great praise for the man that puts up with the day to day humiliations of spending his time in servitude to misguided masters in order that his family maintain a good living. After all, if he can send his children to college, or teach them the value of duty in the face of daily personal compromise, then perhaps it will be they that become the overlords and perhaps become leaders that are followed- not out of the fear of destitution- but out of loyalty to a higher philosophy.

k
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.