Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
There must be a separate agreement unless you bought the shares using a margin loan. Just having a margin account is not sufficient.

I believe it's not just if you bought them with a margin loan, but rather if you have a margin loan with them as collateral. (ex. if I have stock A in my account, and I buy stock B using just margin, both A and B could be lent. Or if I have stock A, get cash from the broker as a margin loan, then A could be lent out)

But after a little research - looks like I'm going by what Scottrade does:
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.