Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
There was absolutely NO discussion about *merging* the two IRAs into one IRA. No merging, sorry I said it how I did in the subject line, it is not "Consolidating Roths" it is "Consolidating 2 separate Roth accounts into my Scottrade Brokerage account" but that didn't fit into the subject line.

No, it's not even "Consolidating 2 separate Roth accounts into my Scottrade Brokerage account".

It's "Moving 2 separate Roth accounts to Scottrade and accessing all the accounts with one login."

Sure, this is quite common and no big deal. No different from have one login to your bank and having access to both checking and savings accounts. One login, two (or more) separate indepedent accounts.

The only reason you are unsure about this and "had a long talk about it with the person from Scottrade" is because you don't realize that this is quite common.

It's a little scary leaving Vanguard, just because I like them so much, but to have it all in one place seems to make more sense.

Do whatever makes your life easier or more convenient. FWIW, we have about 12 brokerage accounts at 4 different brokers. And about 6 logins -- because I was too lazy to link a couple of the accounts so they'd have the same login.

Different reasons for different brokers. Etrade: grandfathered in from BrownCo, which itself had multiple accounts from when Brown bought eDreyfus. Just2Trade: Cheap $2.50 commissions. OptionsHouse: got a free 23" computer monitor as bonus for opening an account. Merrill: got a $600 bonus for moving an IRA there, and get 30 free trades a month.

To me, a stock broker is like a grocery store. You are not required to use only one store, you don't have use the same store for all your groceries, you can get coupons/bonuses from several stores, you don't have to tell them why you decided to take your business elsewhere.
I literally can't comprehend the concept of it being scary to move an account from Vanguard. That's like being scared of going shopping at Safeway instead of Kroger.

You can do it at Vanguard, too. I beleive they offer checking & savings accounts, and you could link all the accounts to a single login. If you really like Vanguard, why not move your joint account to Vanguard instead of moving your IRAs to Scott?
Personally, I don't use either Scott or Vanguard because I think their commissions are too high.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.