Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
There will be income. It's a partnership which means you're taxed on your share of the income regardless of whether you get a cash distribution or not.
Is there any way of determining this non-distributed income? Is this non-distributed income a function of one's MLP holding period?


Every year the partnership has to give you a Schedule K-1, which shows your share of the partnership's income or loss, and other reportable transactions.

And also be aware, unlike stocks, your basis in your partnership changes every year (increased for income, decreased for losses and distributions). So it's a good idea to keep your K-1s for as long as you own the partnership, and for 3+ years afterward (depending on the statute of limitations in your state).

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.