No. of Recommendations: 0
There's the trade-off...if you have regular IRA/401k money, but don't have much in Roth IRA/401k, you can use the Roth money pre-65 to lower your *taxable* income to where you get health insurance subsidies, or you can do the regular-to-Roth conversions raising your taxable income so that your social security later will be untaxed because *then* you'll live off the Roth money. Or, you could use up your small amount of the Roth money from ER to age 65, do your conversions from 65 to whatever age you delay your social security start. But, if you do that and take SS at age 67, you have to cram all the conversions into a short window, potentially converting at a high tax rate.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.