Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
There's no tax need for tracking gains and losses within a retirement account.

This is true for federal, but isn't there one state that doesn't recognize IRAs and requires tracking?

You may be thinking of NJ which doesn't recognize deductible contributions to traditional IRAs. NJ requires you to track all of your contributions (whether deductible at the federal level or not) if you want to exclude any of your distributions from NJ Gross Income Tax.

There is no need to track security cost basis or gains and losses within IRAs in NJ.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.