Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
These are my favorite inspirational running quotes:
Running-inspirational quotes
When you walk to the edge of all the light you have and take that first step into the darkness of the unknown, you must believe that one of the two things will happen: There will be something solid for you to stand upon or, you will be taught
how to fly...

There is no finish line -1993
Where your world becomes the next two strides-1995
There are two types of people: Those who run and those who should. -1995
SWOOSH : The sound made when you blow by somebody -Shirt slogan 1995
You either ran today, or you didn't -April 1995
Runs end. Running doesn't

Mother's, there's a mad man running in the streets,
And he's humming a tune,
And he's snarling at dogs,
And he still has four more miles to go.
Runners just do it - they run for the finish line even if someone else had reached it first.

"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
- source unknown
"Winning is not everything, but the effort to win is."
- Zig Ziglar
"Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head."
- Joe Henderson
"Runners must practice their running. If they don't do it and don't enjoy it, they're never going to reach the top. Of course, they may not reach the top anyway. But, if they enjoy the running, they are getting one of its biggest prizes."
- source unknown
"Running is the greatest metaphor for life, because you get out of it what you put into it."
"Sweat cleanses from the inside. It comes from places a shower will never reach."
- George Sheehan
"No matter how old I get, the race remains one of life's most rewarding experiences. My times become slower and slower, but the experience of the race is unchanged; each race a drama, each race a challenge, each race stretching me in one way or another, and each race telling me more about myself and others."
- George Sheehan
"You must listen to your body. Run through annoyance but not through pain."
- George Sheehan
"Once you have decided that winning isn't everything, you become a winner."
- George Sheehan

"The obsession with running is really an obsession with the potential for more and more life."

- George Sheehan
"There are as many reasons for running as there are days in the year, years in my life. But mostly I run because I am an animal and a child, an artist and a saint. So, too, are you. Find your own play, your own self-renewing compulsion, and you will become the person you are meant to be."

- George Sheehan
"I will not last forever. But I am damn well going to know I have been here."

- George Sheehan
"The answer to the big questions in running is the same as the answer to the big questions in life: do the best with what you've got."

"The more I run, the more I want to run, and the more I live a life conditioned and influenced and fashioned by my running. And the more I run, the more certain I am that I am heading for my real goal: to become the person I am."

- George Sheehan
"In facing life, no one knows exactly what is going to happen, what is going to be needed, where the search for the Grail will lead. The best we can do is be prepared. Running makes you an athlete in all areas -- trained in basics, ready for whatever comes, ready to live each day, fill each hour and deal with the decisive moment."

- George Sheehan
"I don’t train. I just run my 3-15 miles a day."
"Life is a positive-sum game. Everyone from the gold medallist to the last finisher can rejoice in a personal victory."

- George Sheehan
"Somewhere in the world someone is training when you are not. When you race him, he will win."

- Tom Fleming’s Boston Marathon sign
"To describe the agony of a marathon to someone who’s never run it is like trying to explain color to someone who was born blind."

- Jerome Drayton
"The human body can do so much. Then the heart and spirit must take over."

- Sohn Kee-chung
"You don’t run against a bloody stop watch, do you hear? A runner runs against himself, against the best that’s in him. Not against a dead thing of wheels and pulleys. That’s the way to be great, running against yourself. Against all the rotten mess in the world. Against God, if you’re good enough."

- Bill Persons
"Have a dream, make a plan, go for it. You’ll get there, I promise."

"I am too tired, even to be happy."

- Gelindo Bordin, after a marathon
"I was unable to walk for a whole week after that, so much did the race take out of me. But it was the most pleasant exhaustion I have even known."

- Emil Zatopek, after a marathon
"Run hard, be strong, think big!"

"Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?’ "

- Peter Maher
"A runners creed: I will win; if I cannot win, I shall be second; if I cannot be second, I shall be third; if I cannot place at all, I shall still do my best."

Losers look what they are going through. Winners look where they are going to.
- Jarred Britan
Cowards die many times before their deaths,
the valiant never taste death but once.
- Julius Ceaser

Tomorrow is another day, and there will be another battle!
- Sebastian Coe (a few minutes after a 2nd place finish in the 800m Olympic Games final in Moscow 1980)
Never, Never, Never Quit!
- Winston Churchill
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
- Confucius
All it takes is all you got.
- Marc Davis
Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors.
Try to be better than yourself.
- William Faulkner
Ability is what you are capable of doing.
Motivation determines what you do.
Attitude determines how well you do it.
- Lou Holtz
Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission.
- Neil Kendall
Don't quit dammit!
- Marty Liquori
Some individuals dream of great accomplishments, while others stay awake and do them.
- Beth Lukens
Other people may not have high expectations of me, but I have high expectations for myself.
- Shannon Miller
What am I doing - nobody cares. It's just personal satisfaction.
- Kenny Moore
The harder you work the luckier you get.
- Gary Player
You have to wonder at times what you're doing out there. Over the years, I've given myself a thousand reasons to keep running, but it always comes back to where it started. It comes down to self-satisfaction and a sense of achievement.
- Steve Prefontaine
Be where you are.
- Jim Reardon Ph.D.
See it
Feel it
Trust it
- Jim Reardon Ph.D.
The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly; who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who at the best, know the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly, so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
- Theodore Roosevelt
When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
- Theodore Roosevelt
Do what you can with what you have where you are.
- Theodore Roosevelt
You can fight without ever winning, but never ever, win without a fight.
- Rush (The Band)
I'd rather run a gutsy race, pushing all the way and lose, than run a conservative, easy race only for a win.
- Alberto Salazar
It is a rough road that leads to the heights of greatness.
- Seneca
What counts in battle is what you do once the pain sets in.
- John Short
Never really give in as long as you have an earthly chance.
- Alf Shrubb
Do a little more each day than you think you possibly can.
- Lowell Thomas

Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.
- Booker T. Washington
Dreams can often become challenging, but challenges are what we live for.
- Travis White
Running is real and relatively simple - but it ain't easy.
- Mark Will-Weber
Fear of slacking resides deep in the heart of every runner.
- Mark Will-Weber
Once you're beat mentally, you might as well not even go to the starting line.
- Todd Williams
Nothing of any importance can be taught. It can only be learned with blood and sweat.
- Robert Anton Wilson
If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years, then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter. I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to.
- Emil Zatopek
Life is about feeling someone pushing from behind and realizing that it's you.
- Gatorade
Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of the hard work you've already done.
- Newt Gingrich
Everything is practice.
- Pele
Success is a journey not a destination. The doing is usually more important than the outcome.
- Arthur
There's nothing noble in being superior to some other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self.
- James Raia
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.
- Fred Shero
I'm trying to do the best I can. I'm not concerned about tomorrow, but with what goes on today.
- Mark Spitz
Perseverance: is not a long race; it is many short races one after another.

- Walter Elliott
There is no "I" in team, however, there is an "I" in win... And I will WIN!

- Daniel Tutskey
Tough times don't last, tough people do.

- A.C. Green
What Makes a Man Run?
By Glenn Cunningham

People can't understand why a man runs. They don't see any sport in it. Argue it lacks the sight and thrill of body contact.
Yet, the conflict is there, more raw and challenging than than any man versus man competition.
For in running it is man against himself, the cruelest of opponents.
The other runners are not the real enemies. His adversary lies within him, in his ability, with brain and heart to master himself and his emotions.
Why Do Runners Run?
By Dan Crowe

I have seen their tortured faces.
I have heard their pounding hearts.
I have seen their heads bowed in the sorrow of defeat.
I have seen their hands hoisted in salute to the goddess of victory.
I have wondered why do runners run?
I have seen long lines running in the park.
I have seen them run to the accolades of a thundering crowd.
I have seen them run in the solitude of a rain-swept street.
I have wondered why do runners run?
Is it a burning inside or a thing called pride?
The search for an inner peace or the quest of a golden fleece?
I believe the gods decree that some people must run to prove that pain is fun.

The Runners' High

It's no longer sport,
No longer just a game.
It has become a way of life.
Every breath is a stride,
Every heartbeat a string of silence.
It is a compulsion from deep within.
It is a passion for glory.
To go through the torment.
To last through the waiting.
To gain that one moment,
Alone with myself.
And only the few,
Who chance to strive,
Can know the experience.
To hear nothing but breath.
To feel nothing but heartbeat.
To feel so much like hell,
Running so close to heaven.
This is the Runners' High.
This is the feeling I live for.
This is the goal I strive toward.
If my chance disappears,
Part of my life would end.

Why Men Run
I have heard many and varied reasons for the above statement but somehow, for me, Brutus Hamilton, head coach of the university of California and the 1948 Olympic team, said it best of all:

People may wonder why young men like to run distant races. What fun is it? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? Where's the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of this strange life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest men. When you see 20 or 30 men line up for a distance race in some meet, don't pity them, don't feel sorry for them. Better envy than instead. You are probably looking at the 20 or 30 best "bon vivants" in the world. They are completely and joyously happy in their simple tastes, their strong and well-conditioned bodies, and with the thrill of wholesome competition before them. These are the days of their youth, when they can run without weariness; these are their buoyant, golden days, and they are running because they love it. Their lives are fuller because of this competition and their memories will be far richer. That's why men love to run. That's why men do run. There is something clean and noble about it.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.