Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
These people should be in an insane asylum.
There is no reason to interact with them, they are gone, looney tunes.
This is going to end badly.

Those people are no more delusional that most of the "JCs" I worked for.

Example, from the pump seal company, over forty years ago:

-reality: their bread and butter product, in the late 70s, was a seal design they had been making since the 1940s. It required a lot of material, usually tungsten carbide and 316 stainless, had a lot of parts, required a lot of machining and assembly. Result, it was expensive.

-delusion; whenever they lost a project, it was always because the competition did something underhanded, never that the company's products were uncompetitive. When they lost a big paper mill project to Chesterton, I saw the VP of marketing, the national sales manager and the manager of OEM/Project marketing (the department I worked in), walking shoulder to shoulder, all saying Chesterton had bribed people to win the job. When they lost another big job, I saw the same three, walking in the same formation, all saying "Borg Warner took a dive on the price because their seal isn't established in the industry, and Crane matched them".

Delusional. That company slowly circled the drain until it was bought by Duriron. Duriron was later folded into Flowserve. Flowserve's HQ is in Houston. While the pump seal company's engineering and production were maintained in Kalamazoo, the honchos that had run that company into the ground were shown the door, rather than moving down to the HQ in Houston.

Steve
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.