Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
These very carefully worded notices, from your financial institutions and credit card companies, are actually informing you that they can sell your financial information to nonaffiliated third parties (and other privacy-related issues).

They are carefully worded, and therefore should be carefully read. My partner and I both received letters from Citibank, me because I have insurance with Travelers, her because they have her student loan. My default was to not have my information sold and no response was necessary. Her default was to allow info to be shared and she had a response form.

The surprise for me was realizing that Citibank can take my insurance record and use it in any of their affiliates, and there's nothing I can do about it. This explained why I still get credit card offers in spite of having opted out through the credit bureaus.

My company has to send out the notices, but never has and never will try to make an extra buck by selling our mailing list... It's too detrimental to the customer relationship.

- KK
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.